Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Spectrum

Yesterday I went to the Good Samaritan Village. I figured to be greeted with the normal gloom that comes with an assisted living facility after having worked in one while I was in high school. Much to my surprise this was not the case. I talked to Kathy the director of activities about what all goes on in the facility. Everyday they have something different from the day before. One of the most popular actives happens to be bingo, but the activities range from beading to volleyball to bowling to baking.. They have movie nights and music. They can go shopping off the clothes rack boutique and have manicures done every other week. Some people see moving into a assisted living facility as the end of their life. It's the place they go to die, but not this facility. It gives the residents a chance to socialize and be papered. These people have had some hard times in their lives, so maybe this facility gives them a chance to live like they never have been able to.
That night I went back to the Salvation Army to help out with Sunbeams. I felt a pang of guilt knowing that I wouldn't be back the next week. Luci though I found her slightly annoying had found her way into my heart with the hold she took on my hand. I was hoping walking away from this experience would be easier than it was, but it took its toll. I remember being told that if I wanted to do something like this I had to have to stomach for it. I took the statement as a challenge, and completed it. This is the reason why even though I was offered a chance to go back I will not be. I do not wish to be seen as one who will come and and just walk away again. That is something that I do not have the stomach for. I know very well that with the wedding coming up this summer along with the foundation that I am building that my time has been slowly diminishing. The kids are one that I won't be forgetting.

No comments:

Post a Comment